WHY AM I STANDING?
I am a working mother who loves where I live and feels my ward deserves a councillor who will do their best for them without the pull of party politics. Having lived in the area for a decade and being passionate about families and the community at large. I feel the need to make a tangible difference.
If I am elected as the councillor for electoral division of Thamesmead East Ward, I will serve the interests of all residents regardless of political persuasions. My goal is to support and implement changes that enhance the quality of life in Thamesmead East Ward. Being part of the diverse makeup of Thamesmead East I have a lot to offer.
WHAT I SEE AS ISSUES AND IDENTIFY AS PROBLEMS IN THAMESMEAD EAST
1. The roads in Thamesmead North Estate (around the golf course) have not been 'adopted' by Bexley Council for that reason do not get cleaned or maintained by the council. Residents including myself have been paying council tax for years yet we do not get the full service we pay for.
2. Thamesmead East suffers one of the highest levels of financial exclusion in the whole of Bexley Borough. You will notice there are no banks and very few free ATMs within the ward.
3. Child poverty is a major issue with lots of families oblivious to what government assistance they may be entitled to for their families.
4. Significant fall in property values partly due to a shameful record of refuse collection, drug dealing and crime in the area left untackled.
5. Other community specific issues like no exciting and safe place for young people to meet, no independent living for the elderly and no GP surgeries in some parts of the ward and the list goes on.
HOW I INTEND TO DEAL WITH ISSUES
1. To fast track the adoption of roads in Thamesmead North, close to the Golf Course.
2. Financial inclusion for members of the community, lobby for banks, more free ATMs in the area and creation of a credit union.
3. Create enough awareness to alleviate child poverty by working closely with local schools.
4. Build up the area economically by partnering with the relevant agencies to make our community a safer, cleaner place to live.
5. Ensure excellent services are provided - help and support for the elderly, creation of youth services affording the opportunity for our young people to reach their potential.